- To improve the health of Malaysians through research and education for the better prevention and control of communicable diseases.
- To contribute towards global health by disseminating important findings from research conducted in FMHS and collaborating institutions.
- To be a resource centre that is recognized globally for basic and applied research, development, training, education and promotional activities in communicable diseases.
- To conduct research – with special emphasis on the detection, prevention and control of communicable diseases associated with high morbidity, mortality and large-scale outbreaks.
- To strengthen research capacity – with the development of infrastructure and skilled manpower for communicable diseases research through the training of post-graduate students and scientific officers, and collaborating with local and international scientists in communicable diseases research.
- To promote research culture –through the provision of academic courses and technical training programs for postgraduate students, securing funding and providing assistance in the application for research funding.
- To enhance technology development and analytical services – applicable in the diagnosis, management, prevention and control of communicable diseases.